(pic copyright- Mamta Muttreja)
The park was created in 1906 by President Theodore Roosevelt, who wanted to protect some of the best-preserved cliff dwellings in the world and “preserve the works of man”. It occupies 52,485 acres (21,240 ha) near the Four Corners and features numerous ruins of homes and villages built by the Ancestral Puebloans. There are more than 4,000 archaeological sites and 600 cliff dwellings in the park.
Inhabited by the Puebloans from 550 AD to 1300 AD , this is a UNESCO world heritage site, and the largest and best preserved site of cliff dwellers.
The Puebloans farmed the Mesa top , and descended via holes cut on the cliff face to dwellings , cleverly made in cliff overhangs always facing southwards.
Installation at the visitor center paying tribute to the spirit of the Puebloans, depicting one climbing down the cliff face with a basket full of produce.
Three storey dwelling at the Spruce Tree House, with rectangular openings for doors, and T-shaped ones for entering the abodes with produce. The upper surface of the cliff is still dark from all the soot collected over time from fires for cooking and warmth in the winters.
Rectangular shaped sandstone blocks with mortar of clay and small stones and a log for support , possibly the beginning of architecture among the Puebloans. the fact that that log of wood was probably from the around 1200 AD , that just added so much to its beauty